Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Super Verdant Sopa de Verduras

This little dish has been a favourite of mine for awhile now, I always make it when I feel poorly or, like my body is screaming for vitamins, it's just so damned fresh. If you're one of those people who doesn't like coriander, I pity you FOOL (sorry mum), because it's a key flavour here. I acquired this recipe from Natalia Escobar, a friend of my flatmate who stayed with us for a week in London. She is from Bogota, and one sunny afternoon I had the pleasure of trying this Columbian soup with her for the first time. It uses two jacket potatoes (or a handful of baby new potatoes), spinach, brocolli (if in season), coriander, lemon or lime, onion, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin & avocado.

Whenever I describe this soup, nearly every person turns their noses up when I mention adding avocado; "Avocado? In a soup? Really!?". Yes, really. Dick. 

In my version, I've started using lime instead of lemon (who in their right mind choses lemon when you can have LIME?) and adding bean sprouts as well, which with the coriander and lime, makes the dish start to feel like it's in Vietnamese territory.


This is the first time I've cooked something in my new kitchen in Kreuzberg, and despite the fact I REALLY fucking miss having a gas hob, the soup eventually turned out perfect as it always does. So thanks Natalia!









Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment